Four regions down, and we're on pace to
create the strongest field of challengers to Mount Midoriyama on record.
So far, 60 have earned a trip to Vegas to try their hand at being the
first American to scale the monolith, but we still have room for 40.
Next stop, the Mid-South Region in...
Fair Park, Cotton Bowl, Dallas
Today's Qualifier Course consists of...
- QUAD STEPS: Four steps, seven feet
between each one.
- LOG GRIP: Hold on past two jolting drops.
- BRIDGE OF BLADES: Or as it's called in Japan, "The Cross Bridge". Four
alternating rotating planks
- JUMP HANG: A cargo net and tramp that could be the difference between
getting the win and getting wet.
- ROPE JUNCTION: Traverse yourself through six ropes, one of them longer
than the others.
- WARPED WALL: Fourteen feet, three tries.
If 30 do not complete the course, then it
goes to the fastest and the furthest. We start here...
- Robert Lindsey (26, Crandall, TX,
graduate student) - FAIL Quad Steps
- Erin Flowers (29, Grapevine, TX, event planner) - FAIL Jump Hang
- Thomas "Supersonic" Stefanik (34, Mansfield, TX, oil field industry
engineer) - This run is dedicated to his son on this Father's Day. FAIL
- Larry Hopkins (31, Missouri City, TX, professional fighter) - FAIL
- Chad Smith (34, Tulsa, OK, road construction) - FAIL Rope Junction
- Chris Campbell (21, Tyler, TX, habitation specialist) - FAIL Rope
- Steven King (21, Austin, TX, gymnastics coach) - FAIL Rope Junction
Three more athletes fail at Rope
- Kenneth Kao (28, Boulder, CO,
chiropractor) - FAIL Rope Junction
- Angel Flores (25, El Paso, TX, gymnastics coach) - His boot camp dream
came to a halt when he was severely injured by a brick. FAIL Warped Wall
- Arnold Risvik (26, Albuquerque, NM, machine shop owner) - also an
extreme unicyclist. COMPLETE (1:32)
- Todd Stair (23, Norman, OK, mechanical engineer) - He was actually at
the Cotton Bowl before... as OU's mascot Boomer. COMPLETE (1:46)
- Brandon Douglass (23, Boulder, CO, parkour instructor) - He was just
short of Japan last year. COMPLETE (:59.41)
Brandon wallops his competition, while
Brian Arnold, Luke Cash, and Big Bob Pondrom all finish, bringing the
total to six so far.
- Sam Hook (29, Topeka, KS, youth care
worker) - FAIL Rope Junction
Now to the man of the hour, wearing his
- Paul Kasemir (26, Longmont, CO;
software engineer) - COMPLETE (:53.99) - Makana would be proud....
Halfway through the action, this is what
we're looking at.
1) PAUL KASEMIR (:53)
2) BRANDON DOUGLASS (:59)
3) LUKE CASH (1:11)
4) BRIAN ARNOLD (1:30)
5) ARNOLD RISVIK (1:32)
6) TODD STAIR (1:46)
7) "BIG BOB" PONDROM (2:05)
But we've only just begun. Another fresh
crop of athletes are lining up at the starting blocks for THEIR shot
HERE TO CONTINUE
For more information on the contestants,
including never-before-seen footage, go to
g4tv.com/anw or nbc.com/anw