Midwest Qualifier 1
Last week, the search began for the 100
finalists who will face Mt. Midoriyama in Las Vegas. Fifteen advanced
from the Venice Beach course, but we're not stopping there, because the
course is about to head east to...
Fair Park, Cotton Bowl, Dallas
The obstacles for the qualifier course
- QUAD STEPS: Four steps, seven feet
between each one.
- LOG GRIP: Hold on past two jolting drops.
- BRIDGE OF BLADES: Or as it's called in Japan, "The Cross Bridge". Four
alternating rotating planks
- JUMP HANG: A cargo net and tramp that could be the difference between
getting the win and getting wet.
- CURTAIN SLIDER: New for season 4, it is what it says it is, a giant
- WARPED WALL: Fourteen feet, three tries.
The fastest 30 move on to the expanded
course. If 30 people haven't completed the course, then the fastest of
the furthest will advance. First up...
- Doug Smith (51, physician, Alexandria,
IN) - FAIL Quad Steps
- Courtney Harris (37, personal trainer, Chicago) - FAIL Bridge of
- Toni Oppliger (47, owner of Buffwater Inc., Norfolk, NE) - FAIL Quad
- Dewayne Montgomery (39, personal trainer/boot camp instructor, Tinley
Park, IL) - FAIL Jump Hang
- Oleksandr Pustovoitov (24, bartender, Chicago) - Ironically he was
dressed as a matador, though he got the bad end of a sheet. FAIL Curtain
- Josh Reitan (35, business owner, Minneapolis) - FAIL Curtain Slider
- Joshua Gannon (24, leadership consultant, Lincoln, NE) - FAIL Curtain
The Curtain Slider turns out to be this
week's Ninja Killer.
- Jacob Reeves (38, military, Kansas
City, MO) - FAIL Quad Steps
- Stephen Krofl (25, coach/student, Wilmette, IL) - FAIL Warped Wall
- James Hardin (24, personal trainer, Valparaiso, IL) - ... COMPLETE
Next up, a ninja for Jesus walks out of
the stands and into the starting blocks.
- Johnathan Morin (28, Grand Rapids, MI,
youth pastor) - COMPLETE (2:27.39)
Joining them, Cade Halada (2:01) and
Kevin Arehart (2:01).
- Zach Sokoloski (25, St. Louis, HS
English teacher/guitarist) - COMPLETE (1:28.28)
Next, the Midwest's own all-star...
- Stephen Volcko (25, Ames, IA,
unemployed) - COMPLETE (1:18.86)
1) STEPHEN VOLCKO (1:18)
2) ZACH SOKOLOSKI (1:28)
3) KEVIN AREHART (2:01)
4) CADE HALADA (2:01)
5) JAMES HARDIN (2:16)
6) JOHNATHAN MORIN (2:27)
But remember, it's the fastest 30 that
will move on to the regional final tomorrow, and as we have another hour
of ninja action, leads are going to change hands, and the seat you
thought was so safe... won't be.
HERE TO CONTINUE
For more information on the contestants,
including never-before-seen footage, go to
g4tv.com/anw or nbc.com/anw