Round of 8 Redux
Last week, a few kids, a few burgers, and
one big party led four cooks to the nightmare of having to prepare...
one... perfect... soufflé. We didn't see one perfect soufflé, though...
We saw FOUR, and on the back of that, no one gets cut from the roster.
But it's a new day in the MasterKitchen,
and time to impress is running dangerously short.
MYSTERY BOX #6
Inside the big brown square as Graham
calls it... meat, meat, and MORE meat! It's Surf & Turf Day! We have
jumbo prawns, Alaskan king crab, crawfish, buffalo rib eye, porterhouse
steak, and short ribs. You have full access to the pantry, unlike
Forty-five minutes... ONE dish. That's
right, 15 less minutes than previous. This is going to be a test.
Adrien has won two Boxes, as has
Jennifer. Both are in fear of each other.
After the time lapses, we get to the top
- Adrien Nieto: Short Ribs & Crab Salad
with Black Garlic (this is Adrien's fourth final table)
- Suzy Singh: Prawn Bisque & Bison with Pan Gravy (this is Suzy's second
final table... the first was #1)
- Jennifer Behm: Risotto with Short Ribs & Crabs (this is Jennifer's
third final table)
Christian tastes the risotto after being
called out on his bland potatoes... "Very good. I've had better." And
Gordon gives him what for right then and there for shutting down.
Truth is... He has had better. But some
things you just don't say.
Winner of this Mystery Box... JENNIFER! I
believe you know where the pantry is...
ELIMINATION TEST #6: Childhood Favorites
Joe, Graham, and Gordon will present
their three favorite childhood dishes. Jennifer gets to pick which one
everyone will cook. Joe grew up on pizza in NYC. Graham loved
mac'n'cheese. So did Gordon, but he's giving it to the fat guy so he can
present something distinctly Scottish... Tomato soup with grilled
The theme is... Gordon's tomato soup with
grilled cheese. BUT you're going to have 45 minutes to create a
grown-and-sexy version. Make sure you deliver the goods, because someone
WILL go home today.
And to help you along, framed
embarrassment! Speaking of embarrassment, Suzy cuts herself and has to
start from scratch with 15 minutes to go.
Now to serve...
- Suzy Singh: Grilled Cheese with Red
Pepper & Tomato Soup
- Adrien Nieto: Creamy Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese with Foie Gras &
Honey... which was over the top
- Christian Collins: Lobster & Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese with Foie
Gras & Prosciutto
- Ben Starr: Roasted Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese with Bacon & Onion.
One of his worst performances in MasterChef.
- Tracy Kontos: Tomato Soup with Pancetta & Fontina Grilled Cheese
- Jennifer Behm: Roasted Tomato Soup with Lobster Grilled Cheese
- Derrick Prince: Gorgonzola Tomato Soup with Tomato & Bacon Grilled
Cheese. Missed the boat.
- Christine Corley: Heirloom Tomato Group with Goat & Provolone Grilled
Cheese. The combination doesn't work.
The best two tomato/grilled cheeses...
belong to TRACY and SUZY!
The worst three... Christine, Derrick,
Ben... is SAFE.
Leaving MasterChef today...
... is CHRISTINE.
... and DERRICK. But Joe does invite him
to New York for an espresso and a chat.
And then there were six to compete in the
team challenge next time. Carlos & Olivia's kid signing off.
To see this episode in its entirety, go to