Round of 18
Thousands applied... A hundred were
called back. Now only 18 remain to hit up the MasterChef kitchen. The
$250,000 is in the oven, waiting for the person who has what it takes to
bake it. Anybody hungry? Let's cook!
MYSTERY BOX #1
Just like last year, the ingredients run
the gamut from the common to the delicacies. Use as many of the
ingredients as you want, but you must use ONLY what is in the box.
Create an incredible-enough dish in this challenge, and you will have
the advantage in the next one. Important, because the next challenge is
an elimination challenge.
In the first Mystery Box: salmon,
strawberries, fennel, white asparagus, ricotta, fingerling potatoes,
pistachios, balsamico, fresh dill, and puff pastry.
One hour... One dish. Selection of the
top three will be based on presentation.
The WORST dish of the lot... Ben Starr's
Salmon and Potato Cake.
The top three...
- Suzy Singh: Pickled, Smoked, and
Grilled Salmon Trio
- Christian Collins: Pistachio Crusted Salmon with Strawberry Reduction
- Jennie Kelley: Savory Salmon Tart
And the winner of this Mystery Box...
CHRISTIAN! His advantage... Christian will control the main
ingredient/style of food in...
ELIMINATION TEST #1: Europe
Play to your strengths OR play to your
opponents' weaknesses. The choices given Christian... SPAIN, the
culinary Mecca of Europe... FRANCE, the birthplace of haute cuisine...
and BRITAIN, the most amazing comfort food.
The choice is... much to the dismay of
the host, FRENCH.
ALSO, you may have noticed that Christian
did not go shopping in the MasterChef pantry yet. Well.... Christian...
will not have to cook anything, because he is AUTOMATICALLY SAFE.
One hour... One French dish... ALLEZ
Now that an hour has passed, let's see
who's serving up une cordon bleu, and who's serving up une assiette de
- Max Kramer: Poached Cod in Veloute
- Giuseppe Morisco: Profiteroles
- Suzy Singh: Tart Duo - Chocolate Ganache & Lemon Curd
- Alejandra Schrader: Seared Cod
- Jennie Kelley: Trio of Soups: Zucchini, Mushroom, and Onions
- Mark Raffaeli: Peppercorn Crusted Filet with Béarnaise Sauce... with
- Derrick Prince: Gougere
- Angel Moore-Soukkay: Fruit Tart with Custard (where the tart is, no
- Christine Corley: Dijon Mustard Pork Chops dried out
- Erryn Cobb: Beef Carpaccio with Zucchini Soup & Sweet Potato Pommes
Frites (and yes, that was Italian)
Three of these made the bottom. Because
this is an hourlong show, they won't show all of them. But they will
show the top TWO... Derrick's gougere and Max's cod. Both are safe and
will be team captains in the next challenge.
Bottom three... Angel, Mark, and Erryn.
At least one of them is going home today.
Leaving the MasterChef kitchen forever...
.... and joining her... is... Mark.
That leaves 16 left, as Erryn is walking
on thin ice. Tomorrow, we take the field in the search for the next
To see this episode in its entirety, go to