Round 1: Heat 1
We have the top 18, as the competition
moves to the MasterChef Kitchen, the culinary theatre of dreams. But to
earn the title of MasterChef, you have to put perfection on every plate
and cook every dish as if it were your last.
On a rainy day in Los Angeles, we reopen
the MasterChef Kitchen for season 3 (which is now equipped with its own
restaurant, winery, and lounge) and our first...
MYSTERY BOX #1
The cooks are given a three-piece set of
knives from Global. That's theirs, win or lose, but now it's time for
you to use them.
Inside our first Mystery Box is... duck
breast, bananas, kale, rhubarb, dark rum, sweet potatoes, Chinese
five-spice, and some maple syrup. Use only the ingredients in front of
you and cook ONE dish in 60 minutes.
And we start with a fire. Gordon's got
that handled... and now time's called. Let's identify three
- Ryan Umane: Seared Duck Breast with
Bananas & Sweet Potato Puree.
- Samantha de Silva: Seared Duck Breast with Sweet Potato Rhubarb Puree.
- Scott Little: Duck Profiterole with Mashed Sweet Potato
These ... were the WORST dishes of the
first challenge. And now, on the back of that, one of them is going
That person... ... and shut up, Ryan...
.... is SAMANTHA.
But there was one dish that stood out for
all the RIGHT reasons. That dish belongs to Felix for her Chinese
Five-Spice Seared Duck Breast! She earns an advantage going into....
INNOVATION TEST #1: Most Intimidating Dishes
Felix is in control of the style of food
or dish, but not the theme of the challenge, "most intimidating dishes".
Joe offers.. Italian risotto. Graham's dish... New England Clam Chowder.
Gordon's most intimidating dish... believe it or not, his notorious Beef
Felix's choice... risotto.
Each contestant will have 45 minutes to
make a stunning risotto. Each contestant, that is... except Felix. She's
going through to the next challenge.
- Monti Carlo: Her risotto doesn't look
the part. It's buried in vegetables. The good: the pancetta. The bad,
the garnish is better than the actual dish.
- Frank Mirando: His impresses with basil, blood orange, and pancetta
- David Martinez: He has portabello and poblano peppers in a veal stock.
He nails a "dangerous game".
- Helene Leeds: She has a saffron risotto... but it is undercooked. And
the scallop basket? "Goes in the garbage basket." Rice is undercooked,
and the scallops are a joke.
- Christine Ha: Risotto with Scallops, Mushrooms & Garlic. Subpar.
- Ryan Umane: Mushrooms in every bite. Good technique on the rice.
- Scott Little: His risotto has fennel and onion. Texture is nice.
- Tali Clavijo: Cranberries? Cherries? Gooseberries? And that sorta
sprinkly thing on the side? No way.
- Dave Mack: He incorporated morel and portobello mushrooms. That
haven't been rinsed. It's gritty.
And it's Ryan and Tali vs. the Daves I
Know, it looks like.
Top two... Frank and the winner of this
challenge... David Martinez.
The big bad bottom three... Dave Mack,
Helene, and Tali.
The WORST risotto, and the next one
out... DAVE MACK. Which leaves just one David. He and Frank will control
the timbre of the next challenge...
To see this episode in its entirety OR to
apply to be a contestant on season 4 of MasterChef, go to