The search for America's next MasterChef
continues, as the top 100 - including the show's first blind contestant
- strive to succeed where countless others have failed.
Day 3 begins with Stacey (29, Apple
Valley, CA), who comes from a place where you're either "stuck up,
(^_^)ed up, or knocked up." She'd be the effed up one, who's now clean
off of vodka to plate in front of the judges. She has an Espresso
Crusted New York Strip Steak with Chimichurri Sauce. Gordon says no,
while Graham likes the focus of the vegetables. Joe... can't reward
ambition, so... no. Graham thinks that it's a bad call...
... and in retrospect, so does Joe. It's
Rami (Dallas, car dealer) is one of the
top salesmen in the country who thinks that he has the X factor. That's
another show. Meanwhile, let's go to the kitchen, where he finishes his
Scallops Florentine on a Sweet Potato Puree. It's all on Gordon... who
gives him an apron.
The last of our home cooks are prepping
to plate. Mixed opinions stop the steady stream of aprons going out. The
last one on the block... 32-year-old David Martinez (Chicago), who's
cooking Pescado con Chileatole. He is going to use every day to make
sure he does better than jail. All three give us a yes, and Chicago is
back on the map.
All of the aprons have been given. Now
the question remains... who's going to keep them? Welcome to Boot Camp.
Thirty-six home cooks are going to be
given a chance to keep their apron and their MasterChef dreams alive.
Unfortunately, their dreams are riding on... two pounds of ground round.
Everything in the pantry is fair game, but you will have only 60 minutes
to turn two pounds of ground beef into a tantalizing entree. At least
HALF of the aprons are coming back.
The judges are going to be tasting and
Should be noted that the woman next to
Christine is her friend and guide Cindy. She will function only as
Christine's seeing eyes. She will not cook, she will not taste.
After the 60 minutes elapse, we have our
first TWIST of the season. Twelve of the cooks are automatically through
to the MasterChef Kitchen! Twelve more... are going home.
The first group features Michael Chen and
Cowboy Mike.. they're... GOING TO THE KITCHEN. The others, including
Jermaine the soldier... are going home. The final group will be judged
- Dave Mack: Italian Beef Taco with
Eggplant and Bolognese Sauce
- Anna Rossi: Beef Stuffed Onions with Raisins, Toasted Walnuts &
- AJ Rossi: Orecchiete Pasta with Broccoli Rabe & Fennel Meatballs
- Tanya: Persian Kebab with Red Onion Pickle Salad
Dave and Tanya... are going through. The
Rossis are about to be split. Anna is going through. AJ is not.
- Christine Ha: Thai Basil Beef
- Bubba: Ranch Stew with Corn Bread Topping
- Mandini: Beef 7 Spinach Curry with Israeli Couscous
- Monti Carlo: Beef Roll
Christine and Monti... join the others in
the kitchen, which leaves room for one more in the finals...
- Courtney: Spaghetti Bolognese
- Rami: Grape Leaf Patty
- David Martinez: Faux Bone Marrow
- Sherine: Roasted Eggplant with Ground Beef
And the last spot goes to... David
Martinez. So your top 18 are...
- Stacey Amagrande (29, farmers market
manager from Apple Valley, CA)
- Monti Carlo (36, homemaker from Los Angeles)
- Michael Chen (19, meteorology student from Austin, TX)
- Tali Clavijo (29, musician from Chicago)
- Samantha de Silva (27, design consultant from Miami Beach)
- Felix Fang (24, food runner from Hollywood)
- Christine Ha (32, graduate student from Houston)
- Mike Hill (40, contractor from Powder Springs, GA)
- Helene Leeds (35, health coach from Baldwin, MD)
- Scott Little (38, interactive producer from Annandale, VA)
- Dave Mack (27, food sales director from Davie, FL)
- Josh Marks (24, US Army contract specialist from Jackson, MS)
- David Martinez (32, educational adminstrator from Glencoe, IL)
- Frank Mirando (28, stockbroker from Holtsville, NY)
- Tanya Noble (21, sociology student from Austin, TX)
- Becky Reams (26, food photographer from Stilwell, KS)
- Anna Rossi (28, pharmaceutical sales representative from Boston)
- Ryan Umane (26, NYC, unemployed)
The competition... is ON.
To see this episode in its entirety OR to
apply to be a contestant on season 4 of MasterChef, go to