A course so brutal and intense that, of
the thousands that have attempted it, only three have completed it. Last
year, with the course now firmly on American soil, one
man - Brent Steffensen - came drastically close only to
fail in the Third Stage.
But that was then, and this year, a new
group of athletes, specially trained and battle ready, have come from
all across the nation to attempt to make the field of 100 who will take
on Mt. Midoriyama's killer American course with $500,000 on the line to
whoever can finish it in the fastest time
This year comes with a new twist in the
competition. Three words: "Win and in." If you finish the qualifier
course, you move to the final course, where only the fastest 100 will
earn their spot on the group that will take on this year's ANW
tournament. If we do not get 30 finishers, we will round out the field
with whoever went the furthest the fastest.
Tonight, we start the search for the
American Ninja Warrior anew in...
Venice Beach Boardwalk
This course is markedly different from
courses past. In fact, of the six obstacles, FOUR have not been seen on
- QUINTUPLE STEPS: five steps, seven feet
between each one.
- FRAME SLIDER: brace yourself inside a giant frame and slide your way
down two jolts.
- DOMINO HILL: balance across a set of unstable vertical planks.
- FLOATING CHAINS: find your way across five chains.
- FLYING NUNCHUK: leap to grab the first set, then swing to the second.
- WARPED WALL: Fourteen feet, three tries.
As a reminder, anyone who finishes the
qualifier moves on to the regional final and move one step closer to the
American Sasuke course in Las Vegas.
- Zack Sayenko (33; Studio City, CA;
software engineer) - FAIL Frame Slider
Next is an ANW All-Star...
- Brian "NoSole" Orosco (30; North Hollywood, CA; stuntman) - FAIL
After the break, Derek Nakamoto does some
taiko drumming. He'll run later. Right now...
- Jordan Babineaux (30; Renton, WA; NFL -
Tennessee Titan) - FAIL Floating Chains
No woman has EVER completed the
qualifier... We may have the first tonight.
- Erika Schwarz (27; Las Vegas; aerialist
& performer) - .... Is that Mr. Belding? FAIL Flying Nunchuk
Fast forwarding, we see 10 runners, none
of which made it to the buzzer. And yes, that's Mr. Belding,
Dennis Haskins himself. Next?
- Dan Mast (24; Oak Park, CA; stuntman),
he of the Tuxedo Speedo - FAIL Flying Nunchuk. And the nunchuk leaves
him with a nasty parting gift above his left eye.
- Travis Brewer (30; Santa Monica, CA; entrepreneur) - COMPLETE! A year
after he failed at the Warped Wall, he is now through to the next round.
Another eight contestants end up falling
flat. But James McGrath completes.
- James Sclar (29; Santa Cruz, CA;
culinary student) - COMPLETE! Joining him: Jonathan Roberson, dancer &
And now... HERE! COME! THE DRUMS! (plays
- Derek Nakamoto (22; Walnut, CA;
engineering student) - FAIL Floating Chains
Eight up, eight down, but Brian Kretsch
Next, can an ANW All-Star return to form
on the course?
- David Campbell (33; Santa Cruz, CA;
sound engineer) - COMPLETE
1) TRAVIS BREWER
2) JAMES McGRATH
3) JAMES SCLAR
4) JONATHAN ROBERSON
5) BRIAN KRETSCH
6) DAVID CAMPBELL
But that is only half of the tale. The
other half... tomorrow on NBC.
For more information on the contestants,
including never-before-seen footage, go to
g4tv.com/anw or nbc.com/anw