All Go to the Lobby
How would an Iron Chef create
ballpark food? That question was answered best by Alex Guarnaschelli,
as she earns a crucial advantage going into the next round.
Meanwhile, the two worst dishes - those of Chefs Robert Irvine and
Michael Chiarello - made way for the secret ingredient of peanuts,
leaving Robert Irvine a shell of his former self. Now eight remain
in the search for the Chairman's next champion.
CHAIRMAN'S CHALLENGE #3: Ingenuity
Today's challenge takes us to the home of
many an American Idol audition... the Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles.
Given a rudimentary concession stand
loaded with all the movie fixings provided by the Chairman himself -
from popcorn and rootbeer to gummy candies and red hots, the chefs will
have one hour to complete two dishes - one sweet, one savory - using ONE
of the items.
Alex, having won the last Chairman's
Challenge, will have the advantage of choosing her own ingredient AND
those of her opponents.
- ALEX: Chocolate covered raisins
- ELIZABETH: Malt balls
- CHUCK: Popcorn
- MICHAEL: Gummy candy
- GEOFFREY: Cinnamon candy
- ANNE: Root beer
- MARCUS: Chocolate covered caramels
- BEAU: Sour candy
EVIL. Back to the kitchen, one hour, two
dishes, off you pop.
ANNE: Root Beer
- Sausage Stuffed Quail in Agrodolce: The root beer forms a great glaze
- Root Beer Granita with Root Beer Chocolate Spice Cake: Hits all the
- Popcorn & Seafood Cream with Popcorn Shrimp: The dish looked great,
but it was a bit of a trainwreck.
- Vanilla Popcorn Pudding: Texturally different, but tastes good.
ELIZABETH: Malt Balls
- Malted Stout Fish & Chips: Very successful dish
- Chiffon Crunch Cake with Barley Ice Cream: Cake has the right texture,
as does the ice cream
MARCUS: Chocolate Covered Caramels
- Chocolate Caramel Glazed Duck: The bitter notes work.
- Chocolate Caramel Cake: The outside's a little bit overdone.
MICHAEL: Gummy Candy
- Gummy Marinated Lamb Chop: Cloyingly sweet, but balanced
- Orange Gummy Panna Cotta: Not keen on the consistency, and it was "a
funeral in your mouth".
BEAU: Sour Candy
- Sweet & Sour Snapper Ceviche: flavor does not come from the candy, and
the candy was used as a garnish.
- Melon Coconut Soup: Creamy, but not exciting
GEOFFREY: Cinnamon Candy
- Cinnamon Chicken Vinegar: Perfectly cooked
- Cinnamon Orange Oeufs de la Neige: Balanced.
ALEX: Chocolate Covered Raisins
- Lamb Loin with Caponata: Lamb is cooked perfectly, balancing well with
- Golden Raisin Biscuit: The ice cream is a little split...
Six chefs will be assured of a spot in
the next round right now.
At the top of the pack today... Anne,
Elizabeth, and Geoffrey. The winner of this competition... ELIZABETH
FALKNER, having graced Judy with her first foodgasm of the competition.
One down, 11 to go.
Joining them on the safety bench: Marcus
That leaves Alex, Chuck and Beau.
Alex... lives to cook another day.
BARELY. Which means that Chef Chuck Hughes and Chef Beau MacMillan will face off against each other in...
SECRET INGREDIENT SHOWDOWN #3
The secret ingredient today is... TOFU.
You will have 30 minutes to create one dish featuring the theme
ingredient. The winner will survive to cook another day. The loser
will... survive. Just not here.
Judgment (Beau): Trilogy of Tofu -
Marinated Silken Tofu, Tempura Tofu, and Pickled Tofu Vegetable Roll.
Beau takes a big risk doing a trilogy. It's not a
disaster, but there are too many ingredients. Each dish is delicious, and each
type of tofu used is respected. There's nothing bad about the dishes. This will
come down to who cooks best.
Judgment (Chuck): Crispy Silken Tofu with
ginger soy dipping sauce
It's a little complicated for a silken tofu. Mike
has a big impression, while Simon thought it was cooked perfectly. Perhaps it
was better with the sauce on the side, though.
It's anyone's ball game. Mike and Judy seem to be
at odds, but a decision has to be made.
There is a trend to overcook, but the chefs need
to remember that more dishes mean more opportunities to fail.
Beau MacMillan... survives to cook another day.
Today, "Chuck's Day Off" means just that, as Chef Chuck Hughes will NOT be the
next Iron Chef. Moral of the story: more doesn't mean better.
And then... there were seven.
To view this episode in its entirety,