Forgione vs. Cantrel: Battle Gruyere
Chef Nicolas Cantrel, a native of France who currently
heads the kitchen of Bistro Bagatelle, a bit of the
Mediterranean in New York City. He also combines a
little bit of Regional French in his cooking. Today, he
takes on the greenest of the Iron Chefs, Marc Forgione.
Prepare for battle.
The Crib Sheet:
Christopher Zabita & Barry Frish, sous-chefs
David Malbequi & David Diaz sous-chefs
The Theme Ingredient: Wedges and
wheels of young (5 months), Kaltbach (12 months), and Rolf Beeler
The Rules: Each chef must create a
five-course meal, with each course utilizing the theme ingredient,
within 60 minutes. The judges will score the dishes on a
20-point scale: 10 points taste, 5 points plating and
presentation, 5 points creativity and use of ingredient.
The chef that best articulates the theme ingredient
through their dishes wins.
The battle clock is set at 60 minutes, which will start
when the Chairman, with full heart and empty stomach,
utters the words of his dear uncle.... "Allez cuisine!"
And Battle Gruyere is ON! Switzerland's
best known cheese, it's a raw cow's milk cheese that comes in wheels two
feet in diameter and 65 pounds in weight.
- TV host Adam Richman ("Man vs. Food")
- Food writer Nigella Lawson ("Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the
- Chef Laurent Tourondel, who won in Battle Goat Cheese
"Five seconds... three... two... one... "
And Battle Gruyere is history. Put it down and walk away.
TASTING & JUDGMENT
"I wanted traditional."
- Parisian Gnocchi with Truffle
- Ham & Banana with Creme Fraiche & Gruyere
- Gruyere-Stuffed Veal with Aligot
- Apricot Gruyere Clafoutis with Gruyere Candies
sure we all love gruyere cheese, but as the star, sometimes that might be a
little difficult. What I did was pretty much a spin on something very classic
that you would see with gruyere cheese."
- French Onion Soup with Gruyere Crostini
- Chicken Cordon Bleu and Gruyere Tater Tots
- Creamed Spinach with 40-Minute Egg & Crisps
- Strip Steak with Gruyere Butter & Morel Au Gratin
- Cheese Course with Cherry Chutney and Soup
Cantrel went very traditional French with
his set of five, while Forgione went around the world with gruyere.
Whose cuisine reigns supreme?
... 51-46 in favor of
Challenger Nicolas Cantrel. It was a three-category
sweep as Cantrel sticks to his guns and comes out with
Until next battle, we bid
you good eating.
To see this episode in its entirety, go to