Home cooks from all over the country have a shot to become the
newest star in the culinary firmament. .
Recaps by Chico Alexander, GSNN
Franc Roddam (based upon "MasterChef")
Adeline Ramage Rooney
One Potato Two Potato (an
All3Media company) and Shine America
8p ET Tues, Fox
Copyright StatementElie fan pages;
production companies of shows this site covers retain all
rights to the sounds, images, and information contained
herein. No challenge to copyright is implied.
ALL ORIGINAL MATERIAL COPYRIGHT 1999-2015 GAMESHOWNEWSNET.COM. All rights reserved.
No infringement of copyright is intended by thes
Web design by Jason Elliott. Logo by Chico Alexander.
Full Copyright Statement
Powered by 1&1 Internet
Top 40 Compete
For the past five seasons, nothing's really
changed about MasterChef... Home cooks enter, they try their hand at
culinary glory, and in the end, one goes home with $250,000, a swazz
acrylic trophy, their own cookbook, and the title of MasterChef. But
it's always verse chorus verse.
Well, things are about to change. Gone is the bald vintner and
restauranteur who is the scion of Italian cooking in America. In his
place... swanky New York-based pastry chef Christina Tosi. Baby steps,
Enough about that. Let's go into the kitchen! But remember... just
because you are in the kitchen is not a guarantee that you're going to
get a white apron.
We begin with 20. How many end up is anyone's guess. It'll... probably
be more than 20, because another 20 enter the fray. Each group will
compete in a culinary head-to-head battle in like-cuisine taste-offs.
Winner gets an apron. Loser gets gone.
WIN AND IN: Cooking Battle
- 30 minutes to plan, prepare, and cook your signature dish. The
judges will taste and judge your creations against your opponent's.
Winner gets an apron and a spot in the MasterChef Kitchen.
SHRIMP: Claudia (31; events manager from La Mesa, CA) vs. Andrew (30;
political fundraiser from Charleston, SC)
- Claudia: Head-on Shrimp with Grape Pico de Gallo
- Andrew: Lowcountry Shrimp & Grits
WINNER: CLAUDIA by split decision
That's one battle down, 19 to go.
PORK: Stephen (47; urban gardener from Palm Springs, CA) vs. Tommy (53;
fashion designer from Chicago)
- Stephen: Stuffed Pork Loin
- Tommy: Pork Ballotine
LAMB: Moniza (24; ad sales associate from San Francisco) vs. Derrick
(28; drummer from Ft. Myers, FL) vs. Nate (29' medical device sales rep
from Chicago) vs. Amanda (25; social worker from Seattle)
- Moniza: Beef & Lamb Kebab
- Derrick: Pistachio-Crusted Rack of Lamb
- Nate: Porcini-Crusted Rack of Lamb
- Amanda: Lamb Kofta
WINNERS: DERRICK & AMANDA
Six more aprons brings our total to 10. We're halfway to our season
beginning in earnest.
SALMON: Katrina (34; admin assistant) vs. Taylor (23; server), both from
- Katrina: Pan-Seared Salmon with Panyang Curry
- Taylor: Blackened Salmon with Pineapple Salsa
WINNER: KATRINA by split decision
More battles in a moment, but first, we must pause 10 seconds for
stations to identify themselves. This is the season premiere of
MasterChef on Fox.
Nine aprons remaining.
FRUIT DESSERTS: Hetal (27; startup developer from Bloomfield, NJ) vs.
Jill (32; stay-at-home mom from Sacramento)
- Hetal: Apple Pastry Cup with Cardamom Whipped Cream
- Jill: Aebelskivers with Raspberry Coulis
WINNER: HETAL by split decision
The battles are drawing to a close, as seven more cooks find a recipe
for success. That leaves ONE MORE BATTLE to fight.
CHICKEN: Shelly (32; kitchen assistant from Brooklyn) vs. Christopher Lu
(30; restaurant manager from Los Angeles)
- Shelly: Escovitch Chicken with Sweet Plantain Mofongo
- Christopher: Chicken Scalloppini with Strawberry Agrodolce
WINNER: CHRISTOPHER! And instantly Gordon believes that a mistake was
made. Pay attention, this is relevant...
... because we have TWO aprons left. And some of the 20 cooks that lost
their battles are going back into the kitchen for ONE MORE SHOT. But
there's only room for six to do battle. They are... Taylor & Stephen
(Graham's picks), Andrew & Demetria (Christina's picks), and Jill &
Shelly (Gordon's picks).
WIN AND IN: Christina's basics: chicken,
tomatoes, bacon, kale, carrots, mushrooms, blueberries, cheese, and
every girl's best friend, chocolate.
- One hour to plan, prepare, and cook a second dish. The two best
will receive a white apron.
- Each chef will have access to the same ingredients and identical
staple boxes with flour, salt, pepper, olive oil, sugar, butter, and
After Stephen's commentary, peppered with language that would make
Gordon Ramsay blush.... and Demetria combining cheddar, chocolate,
chicken, and bacon... Take a moment to process that.... It's time to
- Andrew: Mushroom Duxelle Stuffed Chicken Thigh with Puree Medley &
- Taylor: Pan Seared Chjicken with Kale & Carrot Potato Mash
- Jill: Blueberry BBQ Chicken with Scalloped Carrot & Potato
- Stephen: Grilled Chicken with Pappardelle with Vegetables
- Shelly: Mushroom & Kale Fritter
- Demetria: Chicken Roulade with Sauteed Potatoes & Mole Sauce. Graham
called the mole sauce, "a shit stain."
Needless to say, she did not get an apron. Shelly.... will, at Taylor's
expense. That leaves Jill, Andrew, and Stephen. Jill has the
originality. Andrew has the technique. Stephen has the energy.
... but Stephen will get the apron. Your final 22...
- Justin Banister (18; New Caney, TX; high school student)
- Darah Carattini (30; Irvine, CA; amusement park guide)
- Charlie Chapman (25; New Orleans; HVAC technician)
- Veronica Cili (58; Key West, FL; beauty consultant
- Dan Collado (29; Chicago; engineer/model)
- Olivia Crouppen (25; Thousand Oaks, CA; fashion stylist)
- Shelly Flash (32; Brooklyn; kitchen assistant)
- Katrina Kozar (34; Milwaukee; administrative assistant)
- Stephen Lee (47; Palm Springs, CA; urban gardener)
- Christopher Lu (30; Los Angeles; restaurant manager)
- Mateo McConnell (38; Atlanta; high school teacher)
- Nick Nappi (31; San Mateo, CA; dishwasher sales representative)
- Derrick Peltz (28; Ft. Myers, FL; drummer)
- Kerry Prince (31; Greensboro, NC; HR representative)
- Jesse Romero (29; Baton Rouge, LA; petroleum landman)
- Amanda Saab (25; Seattle; social worker)
- Claudia Sandoval (31; La Mesa, CA; events manager)
- Hetal Vasavada (27; Bloomfield, NJ; startup developer)
- Alisa Von Dobeneck (27; Norfolk, VA; assistant railroad manager)
- Tommy Walton (53; Chicago; fashion designer)
- Brianna Watson (24; Worcester, MA; hair stylist)
- Sara Zacek (29; Baileys Harbor, WI; mobile home park manager)
Next week, the run to the final begins with the first Mystery Box.
To see this episode in its entirety OR to
apply to be a contestant, go to