Last week, eight guys, eight girls, eight groups,
and eight elders were given tickets around the world to see who would go to the
live series. Sixteen of them have flown like cardinals, leaving another sixteen
action rangers to fight it out for the pennants. Who'll hit a grand slam, and
who'll ground out? It's the new Fall Classic, and this... is judges' homes.
As a reminder...
- The judges have already been given their mentor
assignments: LA has the boys, Simon has the girls, Paula has the groups, and
Nicole has the over 30s.
- Each judge has selected something for the acts to perform, either to live
music or a backing track.
- Each judge is assisted by a superstar act: LA has Rihanna, Nicole has Enrique
Iglesias, Paula has Pharrell, and Simon WAS supposed to have Mariah Carey, but
that didn't work out, so he's riding solo (with a few of the show's vocal
coaches, of course)
- Two of the groups - Intensity and Lakoda Rayne - were formed from acts that
auditioned as soloists.
Continuing with the Home Round and...
- Jazzlyn Little (G): "I Will Survive", the
Chantay Savage version. Interesting risk to take an all-too-familiar disco
classic, and do the remix of it from the mid 1990s. Yes, this actually happened.
But it only works if you nail it. The coaches say it's a little "high-school
- Brennin Hunt (B): "Like a Star" by Corinne Bailey Rae. Rihanna thinks that
he's beautiful, but he is "a little bit corny", almost to the point of a 90s boy
- The STEREOOOOO ... Hogzz
(GP): "(I Heard It Through The) Grapevine" by Marvin Gaye. It's a caricature of
a mid 90s R&B ensemble. Pharrell is reminded more of Ginuwine. "They have to be
a constellation. They can't be just one star."
- Josh Krajcik (30): "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" by Roberta Flack.
Very raspy. He's "relatable" and "typical", but is he a star?
- 2 Squar'd (GP): "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen. ... REALLY, PAULA?
- Tim Cifers (B): "Dance with My Father" by Luther Vandross. He could cut that
and have a moderate country hit. But will it stand up to the eventual pool? It
was good, but LA wants MORE.
- Rachel Crow (G): "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys. JC Chasez would
say, "the meat is there in the sandwich." She still has that robust voice for
her age, but it needs polish.
... from the youngest, we go to the oldest...
- Leroy Bell (30): "Make You Feel My Love" by Bob
Dylan. Nicole thinks that he's nervous and he's holding back.
- Illusion Confusion (GP): "Hot Stuff (Let's Dance)" by Craig David. Pharrell
says they have more drive than talent.
- Tiger Budbill (30): "Don't Give Up On Me" by Solomon Burke. Nicole doesn't
think Tiger is marketable enough.
- Marcus Canty (B): "All My Life" by K-Ci & JoJo. Rihanna got chills.
- Tiah Tolliver (G): "No Diggity" by Blackstreet. Simon thought it was good, but
- Christa Collins (30): "No Surprises" by Radiohead.... fun fact: she was the
first child solo artist to sign to Disney Records. It was a little bit whiny.
Enrique likes her, though. Nicole wanted more pain in her performance.
- Intensity (GP): "That's Not My Name" by the Ting Tings mashed with "You Make
My Dreams Come True" by Hall & Oates. It sounds as it is expected... like a
group of ten not-yet-fully-matured kids.
- Chris Rene (B): "People Everyday" by Arrested Development. Both call him
"special", saying that the $5 million isn't important to him.
- Melanie Amaro (G): "Will You Be There" by the
late great Michael Jackson. She doesn't just sing the song, she makes it her
own... and makes Simon's decision THAT MUCH MORE DIFFICULT. But can she nail
something a little more contemporary?
And now... the hardest decision that these four
judges have EVER had to make. Sixteen acts will compete for your votes. The
other sixteen are going home. And each judge can only take HALF of their pool.
Spaces at the live show are only reserved for the VERY BEST. They will come at a
premium. Each judge has more than pride on the line. With $5 mill at stake, we
need a field of 16 who can bring it EVERY WEEK.
Decisions... have been made. You and I will learn
the identities of your Final 16... NEXT TIME.
To see extras from this episode and a Pepsi
Precap of the next episode, visit